• 1880s

    Drawing done of the Golden Rule in the 1880s

  • 1886 - Golden rule established

    The Golden Rule Department Store was established at 7th and Minnesota streets by William Elsinger, Joseph Elsinger, and Jacob Dittenhoffer in 1886.

  • 1891 - Santa clause store

    Five years later the store was moved to a three story building at what is now 85 7th Place East.  In its early days, it was known as “The Santa Claus Store” because of the large St. Nicholas figure at its entrance, plus the large selection of toys.

  • 1891 - Golden Rule Newspaper Ads

    Golden Rule ads in The Saint Paul Globe Page 13

  • 1901-1914

    Minnesota architecht Clarence H. Johnston made additions to the Golden Rule Department store in 1901, 1910, and 1914. Johnston remade the older structure into a six story Classical Revival building with an elaborate cornice and classical detailing.

  • 1906

    Picture Catalog from the Golden Rule Department store

  • 1928

    In 1928 the Golden Rule was acquired by Donaldson’s parent company Hahn’s Department Stores.

  • 1934

    Hahn’s was reorganized into Allied Stores in 1934.

  • 1936

    Golden Rule Christmas shoppers

  • 1950

    Kids taking a ride on the Empire Builder in the Golden Rule.

  • 1951

    Capital Room Restaurant mural

  • 1952

    Candidate Eisenhower on Robert St.

  • 1954

    Pay Stub from August 1954

  • 1955

    A look at the back of the Golden Rule and it's parking lot that is now the Robert St. Parking Ramp

  • 1961

    In 1961, Donaldson’s acquired the Golden Rule of St. Paul and reopened the store as Donaldson’s Golden Rule.

  • 1970

    The Golden Rule name was dropped and the store became known as Donaldsons.

  • 1980

    In 1980 Donaldson’s closed up and moved their store into the Town Square.

  • 1983

    The building was renovated into an office building in 1983. 

  • The Golden Rule Building St. Paul

    Today

    The Golden Rule interior includes a two-story atrium with a staircase spanning the first and second floors. An indoor park complete with fountains and benches covers the entire first level. The building is currently occupied by financial service types and State of Minnesota departments.

Energy Start Certified

THE GOLDEN RULE Building

Located in the heart of downtown St. Paul, the Golden Rule Building is a charming turn of the century office building.

CONTACT information

ADDRESS:

85 East Seventh Place, Suite 200
Saint Paul, MN 55101

Phone:

(651) 290-8890

© commercial real estate services, inc. All rights reserved.