The Golden Rule Building was originally established as a store in St. Paul in 1886 and moved into a three-story building on the current site in 1891. Under the direction of Clarence H. Johnston Sr., architect, additions were made in 1901, 1910, and 1914, and a new facade added. Johnston raised the older structure into its current six-story Neo-Classical Revival building with an elaborate cornice and classical detailing.
In 1961, the store merged with Donaldson’s and became Donaldson’s Golden Rule. In later years, the name of the store was shortened to just Donaldson’s and remained at this location until 1980 when the business moved into the Town Square complex.
In 1983, the Building was renovated into an office building by a local entrepreneur who had the vision of turning it into office space for one of his businesses. The building has been completely renovated. The Building interior includes a grand two-story atrium with a staircase spanning the first and second floors. An indoor park covers the entire first level and includes fountains and benches for enjoying the peaceful atmosphere of the space. The building is currently occupied with offices tenants specializing in the financial services industry as well as State of Minnesota departments.